Tuesday 27 January 2015

Before - after: Our new calendar and weather station

I've already written a post about how I made our weather board which also includes some emotions too. I've made some changes to it and added some more details.



I wanted to include days, months and seasons as well. So I repainted the board (the old tray) like 6 times as the paint didn't want to cover the black letters I'd written on it earlier. More or less I managed with the painting and on the top, I wrote DAY, MONTH and SEASON. I also made laminated cards. The days are hand-written both in English and in Hungarian, the months are printed but I decorated every month according to what's typical in that month. I found 4 pictures depicting the four seasons. I printed some more varied weather pictures you can find on the link. In this way, the many sources and styles make it more eclectic and more eye-caching than one kind of template (although you can find several of them online - see links later). Of course, I laminated them all and also added sticky magnets on the back.

The weather display is in the middle and at the bottom of the board you can find the feelings.

On the side of our book case next to the weather board, I printed a monthly calendar where every day we can leave a dot with our much loved dot markers.


Before:

After:


As you can see our day turned bad (have a look at the feelings section -silly and sad... it was true for both of us... so sorry for the poor quality of the photos.

started as a fun day

making a mark
I don't think I'll change this calendar and weather station in the near future but here I collected some links of how others do it. There are some real professional ones among them:

Our classroom calendar - from Counting Coconuts

Alas, we do not have such a great wall to use.

Calendar Activities (Photo from Discovery Days and Montessori Moments)

Our calendar routine - from My Montessori Journey

100_2683

I really liked this one, but unfortunately the whole thing is on an A/4 sheet which would be too small for us. The design is beautiful.


Weather chart - by Rowdy in Room 300

Easy to use, colourful but it's only weather


My weather station - by boys GERMS

It's a showpieces, I love it! Though not for my little one. She would destroy it within seconds.



Wow!


The links above contain quite a lot of free printable materials.

Our calendar and weather display is rather modest compared to the others I linked in but it serves great fun and supports our bilingual learning process.

2 comments:

  1. I love the idea of a weather/calendar station! I have been so lazy about getting one up, but this post is filled with such great ideas, I'm inspired to get going with it :) I love that you added a feelings section to yours! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Yuliya! I'm glad you've found it useful. I've "stolen" so many of your ideas so far, it's great you could find some inspirations on my blog :-) looking forward to reading about your calendar

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...