Friday 13 March 2015

Rainbow, Pom-poms and shamrocks for St Patrick

More and more St. Patrick's Day stuff. If you haven't done anything in your home that is colourful, shamrock-shaped or fluffy, then have a look at our collection.


Rainbow Name Puzzle (via Still Playing School)

What you need:
  • 7 coloured craft foam sheets (red, orange, yellow, pink, green, blue, purple)
  • printed rainbow template
  • 2 clips
  • 1 pin
  • scissors
  • marker

Still Playing School didn't go into details how to cut the foam so they fit together nicely so I came up with my own idea.

I placed the printed rainbow template on the foam sheet and fixed it with 2 clips


 Then I used the pin to pierce through the paper (and the foam sheet) along the line


You can see here that it is much easier to cut out the strips along the holes


It takes time but it's worth it


Our foam rainbow with Patrick and rainbow on one side and my daughter's full name on the other side.

When I first show her the strips she was puzzled and a little frightened as they were wriggling in my hand. But as soon as I put the colourful strips down on the table she loved them.


 She needed to concentrate hard on putting them in the right order according to their size



 In the end she spelled the letters then I read them out.


We'll play more with it. Rainbow in the bathtub is on our list.

Pom-Pom Colour Selection with tongs

To extend our colour activity I gave E. some pom-poms of 3 colours (of the Irish flag): green, white and orange. With the tongs she separated them in 3 groups.
Easy to prepare and a popular activity with my daughter.






Number practice

I also wanted to do some tasks with numbers involved as my little one loves numbers. I was hesitating between these great number cards by Welcome to Mummyhood


and a number activity from Pinay Homeschooler's St. Patrick's Day Unit.

StPatrickDayTinyTots

As I couldn't find nice and St. Patrick related (shamrock shaped or horseshoe) counters and I didn't want to cut out numbers, I picked the latter.

From the unit above I printed the number cards and laminated them. From Christmas time I had some green counters.


E. did this activity with Daddy as we've been having a bad cold. Although she's better now I haven't had time to relax a little and get my strength back. So I decided to take a little rest in the afternoon. I prepared everything for them in advance.





They named the object/things on the card. E. counted them and placed the counters on the right number. It took her 3 minutes to finish. She knows  her numbers. They left the cards on the table for me to have a look at the great work they'd done. How cute!

Heart-shaped Shamrock Leaves

I cut out a lot of heart shapes and some triangles. I used green construction paper and presented them like this with an example she can follow.



Daddy supervised this activity, too and they had lots of fun. And did a little drawing as well.




As they put the shamrocks under one another I placed them in our St Patrick's Day corner as a banner.



We've been doing loads of activities lately. Not only these ones but other fun tasks concerning our National Holiday coming on 15 March. I'll come back with some Hungarian Revolution related activities for the Hungarian Moms. Stay tuned!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...