Monday 22 July 2013

Sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite

Our days are finished with E.'s evening routine:
  1. watching a little bit of videos
  2. taking a bath
  3. putting on the jammies
  4. drinking milk + reading out a fairy tale (or two)
  5. talking to the angels
  6. falling asleep


Most of the evening routine is done in Hungarian. This is Daddy's favourite time spent with E. that I would not like to take away from them. On the other hand I don't want E. to miss the English vocabulary of the evening routine. Not to mention the fact that reading bedtime stories only in Hungarian is a heartbreak for me. So every now and then (like 2-3 times a week) I try to convince my husband to turn into English. And it works brilliantly.

Let's see the programme step by step (the ideal version):
    18:45 - watching videos: D. sits down in front of the computer to watch some English videos with E: (the usual collection of E.'s youtube videos, or this idiotic Meow, Meow song in the Tamil language:



    Don't ask me why they watch it. One guess is E. LOVES it, the other is this is the way my husband rebels against the English evening routine - just kidding ;)

    In the meantime I do some things around the house, preparation for the feeding, E.'s room, jammies etc.

    If I happen to sit down in front of the computer with E., I prefer to watch a Peppa pig episode or The Going To Bed Book by Sandra Boynton or one of E.'s favourite song Twinkle Twinkle Little Star with the owl:


    


    19:00 - taking the bath:
    E. sits in the bath and the sea creatures are jumping in one by one - the crocodile, the starfish, the octopus, the whale, the turtle, and then an extra duck, some measuring spoons of different colours, sometimes a filter and more bottle caps. So she can hardly move in the water.
    We usually name the animals, sometimes we attack her with the animals, and spay her with water, of course, while we comment the happenings in English. But mostly we follow what she wants to do.

    Sometime she asks for her plastic book - one is a biblical story of the lost lamb, the other is Vizipók and his friends. I tell her the Lost Lamb story in English, we talk about the pictures, and at the end I ask her to show me the shepherd, the lamb or other things in the pictures. But I'm in trouble with Vizipók as I don't know the names in English or they sound really silly (Ormányosbogár = Snout Beetle, Keresztespók= Garden Spider) so I rather hide this booklet when we have a bath in English.

    Another favourite is Mommy Duck and her ducklings. Mommy Duck can carry 3 little ducklings on her back. When we play with the ducks Mommy Duck is swimming around E. and when the ducks are behind her one of the ducklings is taken off Mommy Duck's back (by D.). In the meantime we sing 5 Little Ducks (well, three in this version). E. is so cute as she is trying to turn back to see how the ducklings disappear, but usually she is not quick enough.

    Another activity is toothbrushing. E. asks for her toothbrush, then she brushes the crocodiles teeth while we are singing This is the way we brush our teeth. She also wishes to brush Daddy's teeth or mine. Every now and then she brushes her own teeth as well. If she is not in the mood, I do it for her, which she doesn't really like.

    When we are finished in the bath we say good bye to the toys. E. hands me the toys one by one and we say good night to them. If I tell her to look behind because there is one more toy, she understands it perfectly and turns around the grab the object. While we are putting the toys away she is waving good-bye.

    19:30 - getting dressed into pyjamas:


    We usually play the changing table games I have already posted about. D. puts on E.'s jammies and sleeping bag. He usually sings some songs. I prepare her milk. E. turns off her light, only a bedside lamp is on. Then E. and I sit down in the rocking chair to drink her milk, and D. reads a story or two. If we read in English at the moment we are reading the book: How Mama Brought the Spring by Fran Manushkin. It's for kids around the age of 5, but E. adores the pictures in the book. Before E. finishes her milk, D. says good night to her and leaves the room. Then we turn off the light and talks to the angels. I say thank you for the nice day and recall the lovely happenings of our day. E. often repeats the words she can also say like, baby, happy, her name or grandparents' name, Daddy, Mommy etc. SO actually she thanks for everything that happens to her. Then I put her down into her bed (she says 'bed') and I give her dummy (she says 'dummy') and I give her a textile nappy and her doggy she always sleeps with. I kiss her goodnight and leave the room. Most of the time she falls asleep within 5-10 minutes. Sometimes she chats to herself a little. If it's an English evening she talks to herself in English.

    So here are some expressions how to say good night:
    • Sleep well
    • Sweet dreams
    • Nighty-night
    • Good night, sleep tight, don't let the bedbugs bite (you can find the origin of this phrase here - quite interesting, worth reading the theories. The one I like the most is the rope idea.)
    I say good night to everyone with this Beatles song:


    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...