Thursday 18 April 2013

Helpers

To reach our goals I am not enough as the only English speaker in E.'s life.
First, I tried to find native playmates for E., but she was too little for them. But I'll try it again when she starts being interested in playing with others, as now, at the age of 11 months, she just plays NEXT TO another child, but not WITH them.

B. is reading with E. (who is 7 months old here)
I arranged  with my best friend, B., who is an English teacher as well, to talk to E. in English only. So every Friday when she has no lessons or other programmes she comes over and plays, chats, reads out to E. It's real fun as I can be with my friend and E. is also entertained IN ENGLISH. There are other family occasions where B. is also present (name days, birthdays, Easter etc), and even at these times when Hungarian is the major language used, B. speaks English to E. Sometimes it's a bit chaotic and quite challenging for B. to share her attention between two languages, but we have succeeded so far. (By the way, B. speaks four languages at a near-native level: Hungarian, Romanian, English and German). Nice example for E.

Another helper of ours is A., our British nanny. A. comes once a week (on Thursdays) for 2 hours to play with E. She loves A., smiles at her as soon as she arrives, screams and babbles a lot while A. is at our place. I may claim that E. "talks" to A. the most compared to how rarely they meet. A.'s main task is to talk, talk and talk to E. Another reason why it is so useful for her to be present in our life is that I can brush up my English. If I don't know the exact, or natural expression for some object, activites, baby language, A. is here to help me out. In the future I would like A. to come more frequently or come out with us to the playground or to the zoo. If I go back to work (which will be soon even if it'll be only part-time) I would be happier if an English speaker took care of E. while I'm away. If she has time for us as she is quite popular with moms. A. could be a kind of replacement for me.  I know this idea won't be very welcomed by the Grandmas.

A. is talking to E. (10,5 moths old) about animal flashcards
At the Helen Doron Early English class, our teacher, Zs., is also a kind of helper. She provides us with another occasion to practise and learn English out of our home. E. can see that other people also use this form of communication. And it is also important that she is with other kids, too.

The same applies to MEC (Mums' English Club), except for the fact that it takes place in our home, in E.'s comfort zone.

My plan for the near future (as soon as E. can walk) is to find a playhouse where native or non-Hungarian mommies go with their little one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...