Thursday 29 October 2015

Jack-o-lantern faces with shapes

Everything centres around pumpkins and Jack-o-lanterns. It seems a never ending story. However, we could revise some shape vocabulary while making Jack-o-lanterns.


If you want to prepare this activity you just need:

  • thicker orange felt (or card board - the felt gives another interesting feel of it)
  • black construction paper or cardboard or more felt (for the shapes)
  • green construction paper (for the leaves)
  • brown cardboard (for the stem)
  • hot glue gun (or other glue)
  • scissors
Preparation:

  1.  Draw and cut out the pumpkins from the orange felt (I didn't use a template, just drew 3 similar pumpkin shapes on the felt - I used a dark orange marker - then I cut along the lines)
  2. Out of the brown cardboard (which was actually an old postal box) I cut out 3 stems.
  3. I couldn't find green construction paper at home so I used some scrap wrapping paper to cut out the leaves.
  4. I glued the stem and the leaf on the back side of the orange felt pumpkin 
  5. I printed shapes for the eyes, nose and mouths for our Jack-o-lanterns. (Click on the link to find the printable) I copied the picture above in a word document and made it size A4. After having printed it (I can't print on construction paper) I attached it to black construction paper and cut them out (it takes a while but it's worth the trouble)
  6. I placed everything in a big envelope and presented to my sweetheart.


Of course, she needed to wear her Jack-o-lantern costume
While she was placing the shapes, she named them. We also matched the same shapes. And talked about feelings expressed by certain mouth forms. (Another post is coming on emotions and pumpkins)


We did this activity again... and again... and again...








No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...