Monday 29 April 2013

Walking in the park in Enlgish - birds, trees and flowers

Every morning we go out for a walk. E. is the most attentive at this time of the day. At the beginning I was rather tense talking in English while we were walking and meeting other people, but by now I've got used to it.



On our way I name whatever we see. I try to pay attention to which direction she looks and what she sees. As I'm behind her, it's not easy. So what I say is:

"Look, there's a pigeon. She's eating." or "The pigeons have flown away."


"The pigeons have flown away."
"Can you see that big tree? The leaves are all green."

Pansies in the flowerbed
"Let's smell the flowers. Atishoo. Atishooooo." (Here she smiles or even laughs at this.)

"Look, this flower is purple, and this one is white. And your favourite colour is here. It's yellow."

"What is buzzing? It's a bee, flying from one flower to the other."

We were blowing dandelions: "Look, mommy's blowing the dandelion." (minimum 10 times :) )

"I'll taste this blowball."

If we see a dog: "Look, what's coming? A doggy. (She screams or says da-da)

If we go on a bumpy road I make it even bumpier and shake the pushchair a little: "Bumpy, bumpy, bumpy" (She enjoys it as well and grabs the sides of the pushchair hard)


Two pigeons
Today we have counted three pigeons and two doves: "One pigeon, two pigeons, three pigeons.""Are those pigeons? Nooooo. They're doves. One dove, two doves"

These are some of the example, but as usual I'm talking to her continuously about what we see around us. She likes touching (and picking) leaves from the bushes. She is pointing at things so I name them (flowers, animals, people etc.)

Of course, I don't know a lot of flowers and tree types, but I'm working on collecting some of the most common ones, which can be found in our area. I don't like the long lists of vocabulary which include ALL the plant names. We need a small part of them only. The other thing is that I, myself, really need to learn them. I'm getting old, I have to spare some memory storage place in my head.

I don't believe saying only "flower" or "tree" when we name plants is natural. In Hungarian I name them exactly (the ones I know, as I have deficiency in this field even in my mother tongue).

So here is a small collection of useful vocabulary concerning nature or rather wildlife in Budapest parks:

Birds:
crow
dove

blackbird
house sparrow
great tit ;)


swallow
woodpecker


magpie



English
Magyar
magpie
szarka
sparrow
veréb
crow
varjú
swallow
fecske
pigeon
galamb
dove
gerle
blackbird
feketerigó
great tit
széncinege
woodpecker
fakopáncs
warbler
énekesmadár

Trees:
acacia
willow
horse chestnut
poplar
beech tree
oak
sycamore



English
Magyar
chestnut tree
vadgesztenyefa
acacia
akácfa
  beech tree
bükkfa
oak tree
tölgyfa
willow
szomorúfűz
sycamore
platán
pine
fenyő
birch tree
nyírfa
poplar
nyárfa

Flowers:

forget-me-not
daisies
daffodils


dandelion or the so-called "blowball" or "clock"


dandelion in full bloom
geranium


flowering almond
golden chain


hyacinth




lavender


bluebells


violet pansy
peony
of course, tulips


lilac






English
Magyar
lilac
orgona
golden chain
aranyeső
dandelion
gyermekláncfű, pitypang
daisy
margaréta
forget-me-not
nefelejcs
pansy
árvácska
begonia
begónia
tulip
tulipán
flowering almond
babarózsa
daffodil
nárcisz
hyacinth
jácint
geranium
muskátli
peony
pünkösdi rózsa
lavender
levendula
bluebell
harangvirág

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...